Chicken noodle soup is an old-time favorite for just about everyone. Warms you from head to toe and just what you need when you’re feeling a little under the weather or a chill in the air. This soup is a new favorite but it’s healthier, vegan and gluten free. Hearty vegan chicken soup is perfect anytime and is my go to when someone I love is feeling sick.
Did you have soup for lunch as a child? I did all the time. My favorite was chicken and stars. Now that I am a grown-up I still love a hearty comfort brothy chicken-free version of my old favorite.
Easy inexpensive ingredients
- Onion and Garlic
- Fresh thyme
- Bay leaf
- Ginger (adds a subtle unexpected flavor)
Sauté the onion and garlic in a large dutch soup pot. Throw all the rest of the ingredients in and top with yummy vegan broth. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer until vegetables are fork tender. Enjoy the aromas of your new favorite comfort food; vegan chicken soup.
2 ways to make a hearty soup
Now it’s time to add ingredients that will make this vegan chicken soup feel hearty. I used vegan gluten free chickpea pasta. The chickpea noodles add protein and texture for the perfect heartiness. Real beans work great too.
Important gluten free pasta tip
- Cook the noodles al dente: pasta that is still firm to the bite.
- Place the pasta to individual serving bowls and ladle the soup over the top.
- Leftovers? Store the soup and noodles separately, this way the noodles don’t pull in the liquid and get mushy.
Furthermore, the second way to “hearty” up the soup is to add fresh nutritious greens. I used baby spinach. Likewise, a few alternative options would be; curly kale, red leaf kale, collard greens, mustard greens…endless beautiful green options. Also, it is good to keep in mind that some greens contain punches of flavor. For example collard greens and mustard greens have a robust slightly bitter flavor but spinach and most kales are more mild and sweet. They are all great options, choose what fits your palette.
Tip for adding greens
- Stir in the greens 5 minutes before serving, this will keep their color and texture.
- Carefully choose the greens keeping in mind their flavor profile and how it will impact the soup.
Now that the greens are added and it is piping hot; time to serve it up this hearty vegan chicken soup! Hence, grab your favorite soup bowls fill them with the gluten free noodles and ladle up some goodness.
Looking to make this soup a meal? For that reason, choose a large bowl to fit in plenty and snag a seat. Still hungry? Pair it with a jackfruit salad wrap, a cucumber sandwich or a tempeh bacon sandwich. Certainly, no one will be leaving the table hungry.
In contrast, feeling like a lighter meal or snack? Grab a mug, small bowl, whatever fits snuggly in your hand and fill it up and head for the couch.
In short, have fun in the kitchen, don’t take yourself too seriously. Subscribe, share, and let me know how “YOU” made it your own. Share your positive comments and suggestions. Love from VGFL.
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 cup onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup carrot sliced
- 1 cup celery
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger minced
- 4 cups vegan chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dry
- 1 cup baby spinach chopped
- 1 8 ounce gluten free noodles cooked al danté
- Using a large dutch oven melt butter over medium heat. Stir in onions, garlic, carrots, celery, and ginger. Sauté for 8 to 10 minutes until onions are translucent careful not to brown.
- Pour broth over vegetables along with bay leaf and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Using individual bowls add the desired amount of noodles and fresh spinach. Ladle the soup over noodles and spinach. Serve piping hot with favorite vegan bread gluten free if needed.