Jackfruit salad wrap is so versatile this will be a “go-to” recipe. Love celery, pickles, cranberries, vegan mayonnaise, mustard, seeds, nuts? Anyone of these yummy options can flavor this vegan, gluten-free, plant-based salad. More isn’t always better. So give it a taste test before you overdo it.
How to video:
What is jackfruit? I get this question a lot. Wikipedia’s description of jackfruit: The jackfruit, also known as jack tree, is a species of tree in the fig, mulberry, and breadfruit family native to southwest India. My version: it’s a fruit I buy in a can. I have seen them in the produce department in my local Asian store and say to myself; “why should I buy the large, as big as my head, green thorny looking thing?” Kind of scary. One of these days I will buy the green thorny jackfruit head. I will let you know when I do. For now, the can will do.
Tell me this doesn’t look enticing? Fresh, crisp, low calorie, and delicious! Doesn’t get better than that. Fall, winter, spring, or summer salads are always a winner. Low calorie and satisfyingly, perfect.
As I always say; “have fun in the kitchen and let me know how you made it your own!” Look forward to seeing you soon. BYE!
Jackfruit Salad Wrap
- 1 can jackfruit in brine, drained, rinsed
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, gently chopped
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo, more or less, up to you
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Drain, rinse, and dry jackfruit. Shred jackfruit similar to a chicken salad. Place all ingredients into a large bowl mix together well and refrigerate for an hour. Serve as an open face sandwich, crackers, apples...you decide.