How to Video:
Vegan Crab Cakes are a healthy version of a classic favorite. These babies are so freaking delicious. They are gluten-free and vegan crab-less crab cakes. For a more authentic flavor try frying them up. For a healthier and just as good version, bake them instead.
What is Heart of Palm?
I know, what the heck are hearts of palm? Hearts of palm is a vegetable that is harvested from the inner core of a young palm tree. Moderate harvesting will not kill the entire palm, woo, I was a little worried. Hearts of palm make a perfect replacement for crab. When chopped or pulsed in a food processor it mimics the texture of “real” crab.
The combination of the vegetables and spices give the authentic flavor to the crab cakes. Fresh colorful crisp veggies add amazingly bright flavors. Fresh spices are awesome but dried are great to have around!
Nori or Braggs Sea Kelp Seasoning, dried basil, dried parsley,
onion powder, Old Bay Seasoning, salt, and pepper.
Sushi nori or Bragg Sea Kelp Delight Seasoning will add the “seafood” flavor. Using the sushi nori is a bit more complicated but definitely doable. Looking for ease, grab the Braggs Sea Kelp Delight. Easy is always great!
They don’t just look good, they taste absolutely amazing! These “crab” free cakes are a must to try, baked or fried, enjoy! Don’t forget to share them with family and friends. A little spicy mango chutney to dip into, paired with your favorite sides and now you have a meal even pickiest eaters will enjoy!
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet red pepper finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 2 14 ounce cans hearts of palm drained
- 1 8 ounce bag microwave quick cooking brown rice time allows freshly cooked brown rice
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4-1/2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp sushi nori toasted and ground-up or Briggs Sea Kelp Delight Seasoning
- 1 tbsp gluten free flour
- 1-2 cups seasoned gluten free breadcrumbs optional
- Combine flax and water, stir until well mixed, let stand for 10 minutes until thickened.
- In a medium sauté pan melt vegan butter over medium-low heat. To sauté pan add red onion, red pepper, and garlic cook until onions are translucent, 5 minutes.
- Carefully toast nori paper over a small gas flame then grind in coffee grinder or hand grinder. If preferred and much easier replace nori with Braggs Sea Kelp Delight Seasoning.
- Add hearts of palm to the food processor, pulse until it reaches a "crab" consistency.
- Transfer hearts of palm to a large bowl. Add in flax "egg", cooked ingredients and all dry ingredients. Stir together until well blended.
- Spray mini muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Taking small, palm size, hearts of palm mixture, roll and lightly flatten to look like a small "crab" cake, dip into breadcrumbs and place into muffin tin. Repeat.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook 35-40 minutes or until browned.