How to Video:
Tempeh bacon is bold, versatile, and a cinch to make. This protein-packed plant-based bacon is no cousin of the “other’ bacon but it is healthier and kinder too. Whatever your reason, give this yummy tempeh bacon a try!
The key to preparing the perfect tempeh dish is to steam or simmer the tempeh before marinating and cooking. Marinate with whatever your taste buds desire. Tempeh is amazing with its ability to take on the flavor of whatever you put it with. Looking for a sweet bacon flavor? Try pure maple syrup, honey (not always considered vegan), fruit paste, or agave nectar. If you’d rather a spicy “bacon” marinate in your favorite hot sauce, jalapenos, and pepper.
After marinating the tempeh you can cook it any way you please. Fry it up, bake it, air fry it, or grill it. Part of the beauty of tempeh is its versatility. Tempeh makes a perfect meat alternative. It’s crazy healthy and packed full of plant-based protein goodness. Have fun making this easy healthy treat anytime.
Comment below and let me know how YOU made it your own!
- 1 package tempeh
- 2 cups vegetable broth or vegan beef bouillon broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4-1/2 cup gluten-free tamari soy sauce
- 1/2-1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses optional add more syrup for sweetness
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 pinch salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Add broth and water together in a large saucepan. Bring it to a simmer and add tempeh. Simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes. Turning occasionally to keep covered. Don't boil.
- Remove tempeh cool to the touch. Slice into 1/4 inch strips.
- Alternatively, use a steamer or steamer basket, heat the tempeh for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Prepare marinade in a small bowl. Add all ingredients whisk until thoroughly blended.
Let's Get this "Bacon" On
- Place sliced tempeh in a shallow dish and add in the prepared marinade. Cover and marinate for 2 hours or overnight, based on how much time you have.
- Remove from marinade and cook as desired. Cook in a large nonstick fry pan with approximately 1 tbsp extra virgin oil, air fry, or bake in 375-degree F oven until browned approximately 10-15 minutes.