Who doesn’t love an easy tomato soup? No one! Plain soup, such as tomato, is easy to jazz up and make into an exciting recipe. Adding chickpeas enhances the flavor and texture profile while providing the benefits of added protein and fiber. Dried herbs and spices round out this delicious comfort food. Give it a try! You won’t be disappointed.
It’s that time of year; shorter days, cooler nights and sick kids. Yes, sick kids. This recipe was inspired when my daughter came home from school sick. Soup sounded like the comfort food she needed. Her hunger pangs were not about to wait for homemade soup, so I improvised.
Grabbing cans of vegan tomato soup and chickpeas I then headed for the fridge. It was a little bare but I managed to find a few shallots, garlic cloves, and zucchini. On to the herb shelf for oregano and parsley…Tada! Italian soup!
Soups are a great one-dish dinner, lunch or a quick healthy snack. So jump in and experiment with fresh or dried herbs and spices.
Remember have fun in the kitchen. Make it your own.
Easy Tomato Soup with Chickpeas
- 1 can tomato soup, vegan
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 zucchini, diced small and sauteed
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsely
- vegan broth, as needed
- In a medium to large fry pan saute garlic and shallots over medium-high heat using vegan butter or olive oil. Cook until translucent 5-8 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Using same fry pan saute zucchini adding oil if needed. Brown and remove.
- Place all ingredients into large soup pan or dutch oven. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Can be served immediately once heated through.
- Add vegan broth if needed or prefer a thinner soup.