Zucchini and eggplant lasagna is a savory, yet low-calorie recipe. Make plenty for leftovers, I promise you’ll want extra. Guess what? You only need 10 ingredients!
Everyone loves lasagna. That being said, why not make it for dinner tonight? However, if you want to make it today and save it, that works also. To clarify, don’t cook it. Cover and refrigerate overnight, then cook it the next day. Perfect!
Fresh eggplant, zucchini or noodles
Gluten-free lasagna noodles can sometimes be tricky to cook and aren’t always easy to find. So for this recipe, I ditched the noodles and decided to create a low-calorie plant-based lasagna.
Replace noodles with zucchini and eggplant slices. These veggies tend to be a bit watery, therefore, you will not need as much spaghetti sauce. Cooking the lasagna uncovered will also help evaporate any extra liquid from the veggies.
Instead of cheese or non-dairy cheese, I get my cheesy flavor with nutritional yeast (one of my pantry staples).
Once the zucchini and eggplant lasagna is cooked, take it out of the oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before cutting. Pair this dish with a tomato-cucumber salad and you’ve got yourself one of my favorite meals.
In short, have fun in the kitchen, don’t take yourself too seriously. Subscribe, share, and let me know how “YOU” made it your own. Share your positive comments and suggestions. ❤️ from VGFL.
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 small eggplant
- 1 (15 ounces) can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon basil paste or fresh basil, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup sweet onion chopped
- salt to taste
- 1-2 cups fresh baby spinach or baby kale
- 1 (25 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Clean and cut zucchini and eggplant into thin lengthwise slices. Easier with a Mandolin, but not necessary. Place the sliced eggplant onto paper towels and lightly sprinkle with salt, let sit for 15 minutes and then blot dry, this will help release some of the liquid.
- Place cannellini beans, basil, garlic, nutritional yeast, onion, and salt in food processor. Process until it becomes a smooth consistency.
- In large rectangular baking dish start putting the lasagna together. Start with a cup of red sauce and layer the ingredients. First zucchini slices then eggplant, cannellini mixture, spinach and then sauce (not too much). Repeat process until the last layer is zucchini. Should be about three layers depending on how big or small your vegetables are.
- Top last layer with remaining sauce and sprinkle with nutritional yeast. If you have some cannellini mixture left, spread a thin layer onto the top of the last layer. Cook uncovered in the oven for 45-50 minutes. Broil for 5 minutes until lightly browned.