Chicken-less Posole inspired dinner was a recipe my good friend, Steacy, emailed to me. Usually on Mondays I veganize a Rachael Ray or other Food Network recipe. Today’s Monday veganized recipe is a Steacy version.
Steacy’s recipe is a chili dish or Mexican soup. Posole, puzole, or pozolli, which means hominy. Hominy is maze, aka corn, that has been dried, soaked in a solution, which then causes the corn to swell. (I never knew any of that in case you were curious). I knew I had to switch up the recipe since my daughter has a corn allergy. I honestly hadn’t planned on making a stew or soup so I came up with a chicken-less dinner with an inspired posole sauce.
This is a very easy recipe. When making the sauce decide the level of heat that you are trying to achieve. For my family, I did not add any jalapeño when I made the sauce. Because I had never made this dish previously I thought better to live on the safe side then have no one eating dinner. I know my husband and I would have enjoyed the heat, but possibly not my girls.
Deciding to use the white beans was just a quick decision. You can use the hominy or another type of bean if you would prefer. I chose the white bean to keep the appearance of the dish similar to the original. I added in the beans right at the end of the sauce heating them just before serving. White beans are very soft so I didn’t want them to loose their texture.
I am really thrilled with the outcome of this dish. My whole family loved the flavor and freshness. I am going to make the soup version today!
Remember make it your own, have fun in the kitchen, and enjoy infusing some veggies!
- 1 package meatless chicken patties
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ground pepper to taste
- 1 large sweet onion , chopped
- 1 small jalapeño , chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 (6 ounce) can green chilies, drained
- 1 cup cilantro , cleaned
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 cup vegetarian broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 fresh lime , squeezed
- Cilantro or thyme for garnish
- Sliced avocado
- In large fry pan on medium heat, brown meatless chicken patties on both sides. Sprinkle paprika salt and pepper over patties. Remove patties, place on serving dish cover to keep warm. In same pan add onions, jalapeño and garlic cook on medium low until onion is soft. Transfer onion mixture to blender adding in chilies, cilantro and thyme, puree until smooth.
- Return blended ingredients back into pan. Add broth and white beans to blended ingredients stir and heat on medium for 5 minutes. Before serving squeeze in fresh lime juice and stir.
- Rewarm patties if needed. Take white bean and cilantro sauce, spoon over patties top with fresh cilantro or thyme. Enjoy with a side salad.