Looking for an alternative for seafood recipes? Vegan shrimp scampi is an easy delicious recipe to replace shrimp. I chose the hearts of palm as the base for this recipe. Its similar texture, flavor, and visual appearance worked perfectly. In addition, the use of fresh ingredients like lemon, garlic, and basil completes the flavors of this savory dish. Shrimp? Who needs it? The shrimp appreciate it!
Where did I get my inspiration from? My girlfriends Kim and Janine. Both beautiful women, who happened to love seafood and asked me if I could make a vegan version of a shrimp scampi dish? Of course, I said yes! Hense the challenge began.
Doing a bit of research I came upon hearts of palm. I had never eaten them let alone cooked with them. I read that they were mild in flavor held their shape and cooked up beautifully.
Where to find
Hearts of palm can either come in a jar or can. I happened to have purchased a two-pack at Costco but they are available at most grocers. They can be a challenge to find but well worth the effort. Don’t hesitate to ask this is a versatile vegetable and must-have in your pantry.
What is heart-of-palm
Heart of palm is a vegetable harvested from the core of specific palm trees. The primary source of hearts of palm, or peach palm, come from Costa Rica. Some are also cultivated in Hawaii. That being said, maybe I should go and check it out personally. Educational and beautiful. Perfect!
Hearts of palm have a light flavor, easy to cook and take on the flavors of the fresh ingredients seamlessly. I personally love to brown the rounds. As a result, lightly browning adds just the right amount of richness that is perfect for the recipe.
Plate up this delicious vegan shrimp scampi dish served over pasta, rice or fresh vegetables like roasted Brussel sprouts, roasted cauliflower, and zucchini noodles. This is a dish you’ll want to make over and over again. ENJOY!
Easy to follow video
In short, have fun in the kitchen, don’t take yourself too seriously. Subscribe, share, and let me know how “YOU” made it your own. Share your positive comments and suggestions. ❤️ from VGFL.
Sautéed Hearts of Palm
- 1 jar (24 ounces) hearts of palm sliced into 1/4 rounds
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
Lemon Cream Sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/3 cup shallots chopped or diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup vegan broth or white wine
- 1/4 cup vegan sour cream or vegan creme fraiche
- 1 fresh lemon squeezed
- 1/2 cup basil or parsley roughly chopped
- 1-2 teaspoon lemon zest
- In a large skillet, heat the vegan butter over medium-high. In batches, brown the heart of palms on both sides. Careful not to burn. Remove from skillet, set aside.
- In the same skillet saute shallot and garlic in vegan butter. Cook until shallots soften approximately 4-5 minutes. Do not brown.
- Add the vegan broth or white wine; stir until slightly reduced, about 5-8 minutes. Remove pan from heat and add the vegan sour cream or crème fraiche and lemon juice. Stir until the sauce is smooth. Stir in the basil or parsley.
- Serve over cooked gluten-free noodles. Top with fresh herbs and lemon zest.ENJOY!