I love thick vegetable stews. This recipe is healthy, it fills you up, and it’s easy. This one-pot wonder is overflowing with vegetables in a delicious creamy broth. Hearty Vegetable Stew is all the comfort food you are looking for in one convenient bowl. This healthy bowl of nature’s goodness will warm your tummy and raise your spirit any time of year. As a result, hearty stew is a must-have recipe!
Vegetable stew brings me back to my childhood. Growing up eating stew for dinner was a staple in our family. On the weekends in the winter my dad would make a huge pot. It’s time to put a vegan twist on the stew from my childhood memories. Hearty vegetable stew has all of the same flavors I use to remember but so much healthier.
This stew is a one-pot dinner that is crazy versatile. Don’t worry if you don’t have all the veggies in the recipe, whatever you have on hand will work! This hearty vegetable stew can be made with any vegetables you like, fresh or frozen. Great to be made in a crockpot or on the stovetop. The longer it simmers the more flavorful.
Most noteworthy, cooking vegetables for any soup or stew is that some vegetables cook much quicker than others. Due to that, simply add them to your recipe a little later. For example, spinach, broccoli, and mushrooms cook quickly. The harder denser root vegetables like potatoes and carrots take longer to cook. Keeping that in mind, your vegetables will still have a vibrant color but fork tender. As a result, your vegetables will have vibrant colors resulting in maximized flavor and preserved their nutritious properties. Hense, bright colors equal more nutritious.
- Shiitake, Portobello, Oyster, Porcini
- Beyond Meat
- Sausage (spicy or original), Crumbles, Plant-based Ground
- Black, Kidney, Pinto, Garbanzo, White Kidney
Pair this fun and easy Hearty vegetable stew with a crispy gluten free baguette or a side salad. Serve it over rice, noodles, chopped baby spinach, or ladle in a big bowl. This vegetable stew is a win-win recipe no matter what vegetables are your favorites. This is one recipe that will become a family favorite and a comfort meal tradition for years to come.
In short, have fun in the kitchen, don’t take yourself too seriously. Subscribe, share, and let me know how “YOU” made it your own. Share your positive comments and suggestions. Love from VGFL.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups baby golden potatoes quartered
- 2 cups carrots chopped large
- 3 cups vegan beef broth
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan over medium heat add in olive oil, onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Sauteé until browned about 8 minutes.
- Pour in the wine, cook down for 5 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle flour over mushroom onion mixture until flour is incorporated. Stir in tomato paste.
- Stir broth over mushroom mixture add in carrots, potatoes, and thyme. Cook for 30 minutes until carrots and potatoes are fork-tender.
- Slowly add milk, peas, and corn. Reheat for 10 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Serve over rice, bean pasta, fresh baby spinach chopped or in a bowl.