Tis the season for latkes! This is a vegan gluten-free latkes recipe you dont’ want to miss. These latkes are so delicious you’ll be lucky to have any left by dinner time. Grab a bag of potatoes and get gratting.
Shredding the potatoes can be a pain in the ass. However, they are totally worth the effort. Use either a hand grater or food processor to shred the potatoes. Using a hand grater will build muscle and character, who couldn’t use a bit of both?
Line a large bowl with a clean dishtowel and as you batch shred your potatoes add them to the bowl. Squeeze fresh lemon over each batch of potatoes then fold the dishtowel lining the bowel over the top of the shredded potatoes until you finish shredding and are ready to start cooking. This step is ESSENTIAL. Otherwise, the potato shreds will turn grey. No one wants vegan gluten-free latkes that are grey.
You can choose how you cook them, either pan-fried or baked. Baking them reduces the amount of oil and fat necessary required for frying and also decreases the amount of active time needed for cooking. Once they’re in the oven you can go about preparing the rest of your dinner or better yet have a glass of wine.
I love using a mini-muffin pan for baking these vegan gluten-free latkes. That way they keep their round shape and have perfectly crisp edges. Bake them or fry them, do whatever works best for you.
In my house, latkes are the main dish and we often have some veggies on the side. Try pairing your latkes with roasted Brussel sprouts or roasted broccoli.
- 2 lbs russet potatoes peeled
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1 tbsp milled flaxseed mixed with 3 tbsp water, set aside
- 3 tbsp gluten-free flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder gluten-free
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup oil if frying
- unsweetened applesauce optional pairing
- Make flaxseed "egg" by combining 1 tbsp ground milled flaxseed with 3 tbsp water in a small bowl, stir, and set aside to thicken for 5-10 minutes.
- Line a large bowl with a clean dishtowel.
- Peel and cut potatoes. Place peeled potatoes in a bowl with water and lemon so they stay fresh.
- Use either a hand grater or a food processor to shred the potatoes (do not puree).
- Add shredded potatoes to the dishtowel lined bowl. Squeeze all the liquid out of the potatoes. It is important to get as much liquid released as humanly possible. Pour off the liquid, reserve the starch on the bottom of the bowl.
- Place drained potatoes back into the bowl and squeeze fresh lemon over each batch of shredded potatoes to keep from turning grey. Cover with a towel. Keep the potatoes covered at all times otherwise they will turn an ugly grey color.
- Shred or grate onions.
- Stir in onions, flax "egg", gluten-free flour, baking powder, salt and pepper to shredded potatoes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, carefully add a heaping tablespoon of shredded potato mixture to hot oil, it may splatter. Flatten with the back of a spoon. Brown on each side, approximately 5 to 8 minutes each side, depending on the size.
- Place cooked latkes on a paper towel to drain away excess oil. Be careful to keep hungry loved ones away from cooked latkes otherwise they will never make it to the table.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray small muffin tin with olive oil.
- Place tablespoon size shredded latkes into muffin tins and lightly spray tops of the potatoes (will help them brown evenly, it is optional)
- Cook latkes until browned, approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
- Top your latkes with a spoonful of applesauce.
These are so perfect when you are craving a yummy salty side dish or snack! This is a great recipe, we loved these. Thank you!
HOLY MOLY!! DELICIOUS!!!
My family’s favorite!