You must try the rich hearty flavors of this spicy garbanzo bean soup. It is one of my all-time favorite soup recipes. My family has been eating this for years and never tire of it. The deep flavors of this soup will make your taste buds go wild. This soup is easy, delicious, inexpensive, and filling. You probably already have all of these ingredients in your pantry.
How to Recipe Video:
Trying to decide what to make for dinner? Me too. When I can’t seem to come up with a recipe that inspires me I look for a one-pot meal. Soups are filling and some of the easiest recipes when I’m in a hurry. I tend to always have my pantry stocked with plenty of beans and canned goods (thank you Costco), I can throw together a hearty soup in no time.
Healthy protein-packed soup
If you’re looking for a healthy, hearty, one-dish meal you need not look any further. Spicy garbanzo bean soup is full of essential nutrients all in one bowl.
Garbanzo beans, also known as chickpeas, are packed with protein, vitamins, and rich in fiber.
- 1 cup garbanzo beans = 14g protein, 0g fat, 0g cholesterol
Add in whatever greens and vegetables in your kitchen and you’ve got yourself an outstanding meal the whole family will love.
Meat-free protein alternatives
Feeding friends and family, that don’t’ regularly eat mostly plant-based proteins? Offering meat-free alternatives deliver the flavors of a hearty soup that will satisfy even the pickiest palettes. Sausages from Beyond Meat and Lightlife offer vegan, gluten-free, soy-free options. Keep in mind, they are higher in salt and fat. Remember, to check the ingredients for families that have food allergies.
Avoid adding meat-free alternatives directly to the soup:
- Brown before serving
- Set aside and add to the soup just before serving (they tend to get a bit mushy and fall apart if sitting in the soup too long)
Savory soup base: Onions, garlic, +/- 🌶 (spicy?)
You can add any veggies you want and can change it each and every time you make soup. Onions and garlic are always in my base and depending on my mood (?🌶 ) I will add in some heat.
Get creative, there is no wrong way. Keep in mind, less can be more. Consider the flavors of the choices you use.
- Greens: spinach, kale, collards (strong flavor profile, be careful)
- Vegetables: carrots, celery, potatoes, zucchini, mushrooms
- Easy frozen options: corn, peas, green beans, diced sweet potatoes
Need dinner ready when you get home? Create spicy garbanzo bean soup in a crockpot or instant pot. You can use either of these cooking methods, whatever works best for you.
In short, have fun in the kitchen, don’t take yourself too seriously.
Subscribe, share, and let me know how “YOU” made it your own. Share your positive comments and suggestions. ❤️ from VGFL.
- 1 Package vegan sausage optional – I like spicy beyond sausages
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 Small onion diced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 14.5ounce can diced peeled tomatoes with juices
- 1 10 ounce can diced tomatoes and green chilies with juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 14 ounce cans garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 6 cups vegan chicken broth
- 1/2 lime juice Fresh
- fresh cilantro chopped, optional
- Heat vegan butter over medium heat in large soup pot. Once the butter is melted add in onions sauté until translucent 5-8 minutes, careful not to burn. Add garlic to onions and half cup wine.
- Add remaining ingredients up until lime juice and cilantro. Stir, bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in fresh lime juice and sausage crumbles. Reheat if needed.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle it with chopped fresh cilantro if desired. Serve while hot.
Love this recipe! So flavorful and so easy! Thank you!
Thanks for keeping in touch glad you like the recipe. VGFL