Jackfruit tacos are not only vegan, and gluten-free, they are outstandingly delicious. In a hurry? This is an easy recipe for you and your busy family. No need to sacrifice taste and texture because these tacos have it all! Think you’re going to miss the meat? Oh no, you won’t!
How to video:
Achieving a flavorful plant-based taco is way easier than you think, I promise! The key to mouthwatering tacos is using the right herbs, spices, plant-based meat substitute, and proper cooking techniques.
Don’t be deceived, these tacos are ACTUALLY full of plant-based goodness. Shredded and seasoned jackfruit looks a lot like animal-based taco meat. What is jackfruit? It’s simply a fruit. Jackfruit is naturally low in fat and allergy friendly. In its natural state, it looks like a very large strange fruit from Jurassic Park. It is apparently sticky as all get out too. Thankfully it comes in a can. I have not yet tried my hand at cutting one open, but when I do I will let you know. Have you tried preparing a fresh jackfruit? I need some tips, please. Right now, I’m sticking with canned jackfruit in brine or water until I muster up the courage to break one of those giant fruits up.
When you purchase jackfruit in a can make sure it is in brine or water, not syrup. Jackfruit is pretty much tasteless so when seasoning consider the flavor profile you are trying to achieve. In this dish, we are going for a Mexican flair. If you are using jackfruit for an Italian dish try parsley, basil, oregano, or an Italian seasoning mix. One fruit and multiple different spices and you’ve got lots of different dishes to make.
You won’t be sorry you tried this easy recipe. Don’t forget to wash it down with a margarita with or without alcohol. Remember to have fun in the kitchen and don’t forget to comment and let me know how “you made it your own!” See you soon.
Jackfruit Tacos Vegan and Gluten-Free
- 2 cans jackfruit in brine or water
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon Adobo sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain, rinse, and dry jackfruit. Shred jackfruit with fingers breaking up the seeds. The consistency is similar to a shredded "meat" product. In a medium bowl add shredded jackfruit and marinade ingredients. Marinate for one hour or overnight. The longer you marinate the more flavorful the jackfruit will become.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add oil to the heated skillet and add marinated jackfruit. Brown jackfruit, stirring frequently until browned on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve. Place the shredded jackfruit in a lettuce wrap, tortilla, on top of nacho's, in a salad, quesadilla, the options are endless.