These vegan, vegetarian, plant-based, allergy-friendly grilled carrot hot dogs are full of flavor. Who would have thought to replace the meat version with a carrot? Whatever your food preferences are, there is no harm in replacing meat with plants. What is the downside? Less fat and cholesterol, lower in calories, fewer grams of sodium, not processed, less expensive, and most importantly, no animals harmed in this dish. Sounds perfect to me.
Okay, I use to eat hot dogs. Not anymore. Honestly, I wasn’t even sure what a hot dog was made of. Reason number one. The second, what inspired me to cook one up, a picnic. Thirdly, I love all the condiments that create the perfect “hot dog.” The smoky salty flavors masked by all the yummy toppings made a perfect meal that I was missing. Because of all of those reasons, it was time for a plant-based version.
All about infusing the flavors
Okay, let’s get real. What do we really love about hot dogs? They remind us of outdoor picnics, grilling, long summer days, family, friends, and the briny smokey flavors of our childhood memories. Therefore, we need these carrot hot dogs to have those flavors that remind us of an old-time favorite.
Cooking With Karen
We all know that hot dogs are not the most nutritious food, can we all agree? Even though, those smoky, salty, briny, and sometimes greasy flavors might be missed. Why not replace them with the healthier plant-based flavors we love? Grab a bag of carrots and a few ingredients and you’re on the way to a healthier plant-based “hot dog.”
What are the flavors of a hot dog?
How do we create the flavor? Plant-based ingredients of course. Therefore, once they are infused with a hot dog like flavor grilling the carrot hot dogs are the finishing flavor transformation. These hot dog imposters will give us those warm memories and flavors, not perfectly, but definitely healthier and picnic perfect.
- vegan beef, vegetable, or GF beer
- minced or dried
- fresh or powdered
- Smoky Paprika
- Smoked Garlic & Onion Sea Salt
- Salt (optional)
- Lots of Pepper
We all know that hot dogs are a barbecue backyard picnic staple. Additionally, we know they are not the healthiest food. So now is the time for a healthy change. Carrots, when they are cut and flavored are similar in shape, and size which can fulfill the hot dog food experience you might be missing. That being said, why not try something new? Healthy, tasty, easy, low-fat, and fun!
Don’t leave it naked
All about the condiments
- peppers or jalapenos
- homemade or canned
- chunky or mango
- spinach or kale
Whether you’re vegan, vegetarian, plant-based, or none of the above you’ve got nothing to lose by trying these yummy grilled carrot hot dogs. Heck, this recipe may even surprise even the most ardent hot dog lover. Who knew a carrot could taste so yummy? Enjoy!
In short, have fun in the kitchen, don’t take yourself too seriously. Subscribe, share, and let me know how “YOU” made this fresh mango salsa your own. Share your positive comments and ideas below or on Instagram. ❤️ from VGFL
- 6-8 large carrots
- 1/2 cup onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 1-2 teaspoon Smoked Onion and Sea Salt
- dash liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon smoky paprika
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt optional
- 4 cups vegan beef broth vegetable broth or GF beer
- Peel, cut off ends, and wash carrots.
- Using a large bowl add all ingredients, whisk together, add carrots. Marinate at least an hour or overnight.
- In a large sauce or fry pan pour in marinade and carrots. Bring marinade and carrots to a low boil for 10 to 15 minutes depending on carrot thicknes.
- Remove carrots once they are fork tender.
- Place tender carrots on a pre-heated outdoor or indoor grill. Grill carrots on all sides remove when desired tenderness is achieved.
- Place grilled carrots in a bun or enjoy open-faced on a plate with delicious condiments
Oh my goodness! Carrot hot dogs are the BEST! This was my first time trying them. So easy and so yummy! I will be eating these all summer. Thank you!