Greek chicken-less and rice is this weeks Rachael Ray food hack challenge. The base of her dishes are flavorful. Removing the non-vegan ingredients from this one pan dish highlights the delicious fresh herbs and vegetables.
First off I will apologize for my imperfect photo shot I was in a hurry to relax and enjoy a glass of wine with my wonderful husband. These are most of the ingredients for the recipe. Once you prep all the ingredients this recipe actually is pretty easy. The fresh herbs in this dish are very strong yet have a freshness that makes this dish so good. The use of baby kale and spinach with the herbs blend really well together. If you have family or friends that don’t love kale or spinach, don’t worry you can’t even taste them.
We used Beyond Meat to replace Rachael Ray’s chicken option. We also used Quorn, Chik’n Cutlets for my daughter who is allergic to soy, unfortunately this brand is not vegan but is soy free and gluten free. If you don’t want to use a fake meat I think cooked lentils would make a great replacement.
The gluten free orzo was not available at my local grocery store. When I got over my disappointment not finding gluten free orzo I decided to use quick cooking basmati brown rice and quick cooking quinoa and brown rice. I love orzo but finding it gluten free can be a challenge so if you prefer orzo gluten free just plan ahead.
When finishing up this one pan dish without the feta cheese is not that difficult. To achieve a cheese like flavor I often use Bragg’s Nutritional Yeast Seasoning. I know it isn’t the same but after removing cheese from your diet you will be surprised by the freshness of your dishes. Cheese can overpower dishes and leave you feeling “cheese” heavy. My youngest daughter had the hardest time removing cheese from her diet. Even now she will eat cheese once in a while on her pizza but as time goes by she has been ordering it less and less.
Remember; Make it your own, have fun in the kitchen, and infuse some veggies!
- 2 containers Beyond Chicken Grilled Strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup vegetarian no-chicken broth , I use Imagine brand or 1 cup chardonnay
- 4 cups packed and combined baby spinach and baby kale
- 1 bunch scallions , whites and greens, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup packed and combined parsley , dill and mint
- 2 8.5 ounce packages microwaveable brown basmati rice , cooked per package
- 1 8.5 ounce package microwaveable quinoa and brown rice with garlic , cooked per package
- 1 cup defrosted frozen peas
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Heat a large skillet with olive oil. Add beyond chicken strips and cook until brown, about 5 minutes. Add 1 cup broth or white wine and cook until reduced by half for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Place greens, scallions, garlic and herbs in a food processor and pulse into a fine chop; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook rice and quinoa and rice per packages. Add packages to skillet. Stir in greens and peas and continue to cook. Remove from heat, add lemon juice and nutritional yeast, let stand 5 minutes.
- Serve in shallow bowls.