Vegan garlic Alfredo sauce taste so similar to the “cheese” version you will wonder if I slipped some in. Vegan Alfredo sauce can be made with cauliflower for an allergy friendly version, this one is made with cashews. The sauce easy you just need to plan ahead.
I love this vegan garlic Alfredo sauce is full of great flavors and a creamy texture. My family has a love affair with garlic so I add a bit more, it is really up to you. Soaking the cashews over night is essential for this sauce to be creamy. If you forgot to soak the cashews place them in a cup of boiling water while you prep. Once your prep is ready, drain the cashews, using a powerful blender, like Vitamix, add all your ingredients and blend really well. The sauce will still be delicious it just may be slightly textured. I am really bad about preparing the night before so I often have to do this.
The sauce is great served with a meat alternative or in-place of a red sauce. If you add some thyme and a bit more liquid to the sauce while making it, the sauce would be good for a Swedish meatless meatball recipe. I will have to give that a try!
Remember, make it your own, have fun in the kitchen, and enjoy infusing some veggies!
- 1 cup whole raw cashews , soaked overnight, then drained
- 1/2 cup sweet onion , chopped
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 1/2 cups vegan chicken broth
- 1 fresh lemon , juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- dash of nutmeg
- basil , chopped or torn
- In large skillet add onions and garlic with a 1/4 to 1/2 cup broth. Cook for about 5 minutes until onion is tender. Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- In blender, I use a Vitamix, add onions, garlic, cashews, lemon, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, and turmeric. Start by adding 3/4 cup of vegan broth blend on high for a couple of minutes. Add broth to reach a creamy and smooth consistency. If need add more broth.
- Pour sauce into medium bowl. Add nutmeg and more salt and pepper if needed, stir together.
- Cook gluten free pasta according to directions. Pour sauce over pasta and top with fresh basil.
Remember, make it your own, have fun in the kitchen, and infuse some veggies!