No-egg in a nest was a breakfast staple in my family when I was growing up, except with real eggs. Breakfast on Sunday morning, usually closer to noon, is a family gathering time that we don’t get during the busy week. I cherish this time with family providing nutritious foods they can relate to and carry on as a long standing tradition with their future families.
Tofu is an easy option as an egg replacement. Eggs don’t have much flavor by themselves and neither does tofu. This was a difficult recipe hack to reproduce. Making a version of egg-in-a-nest with an easy over egg is almost impossible. The traditional egg-in-a-nest over easy has the ability to give moisture to the dish. The well done egg-in-a-nest is a more similar representation when replaced with the tofu version.
The use of avocado was a last minute fun idea. My eldest daughter has an allergy to soy. So when I design my dishes I have to be prepared to provide other ingredient options. I really like using whole vegetable and fruit in recipes when I can. The avocado is not a traditional option but a really flavorful one. In both instances I enjoyed this recipe with a side of salsa for added moisture.
Make it your own, have fun in the kitchen, and enjoy infusing some veggies.
- 6 slices of Gluten Free Bread
- Vegan butter
Tofu Egg White
- 1 cup firm tofu
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or liquid amnions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white beans
- 1/4 cup non dairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ripe avocado
- In blender place all tofu egg ingredients and blend until smooth. In medium size bowl place all blended tofu mixture. Clean blender.
- In cleaned blender place all yellow bean center ingredients. Blend ingredients well, remove from blender, place in bowl.
- Cut hole a hole in gluten free bread and butter both sides.
- In large skillet spray non-stick cooking spray, vegan. On medium low place bread down in skillet filling center hole with tofu egg mixture. Within the tofu egg place a dollop of the yellow bean. Cook until browned on one side and carefully flip. Brown on other side until browned and firmed up.
- Serve immediately with a side of fruit.
- If you have a tofu allergy or would prefer a whole food option, replace the tofu egg mixture with a cut ripe avocado, delicious.
- Make it your own, have funning the kitchen and enjoy infusing some veggies.