No-egg in a nest was a breakfast staple in my family when I was growing up, except with real eggs. Breakfast on Sunday morning, usually closer to noon, is a family gathering time that we don’t get during the busy week. I cherish this time with family providing nutritious foods they can relate to and carry on as a long standing tradition with their future families.
Tofu is an easy option as an egg replacement. Eggs don’t have much flavor by themselves and neither does tofu. This was a difficult recipe hack to reproduce. Making a version of egg-in-a-nest with an easy over egg is almost impossible. The traditional egg-in-a-nest over easy has the ability to give moisture to the dish. The well done egg-in-a-nest is a more similar representation when replaced with the tofu version.
The use of avocado was a last minute fun idea. My eldest daughter has an allergy to soy. So when I design my dishes I have to be prepared to provide other ingredient options. I really like using whole vegetable and fruit in recipes when I can. The avocado is not a traditional option but a really flavorful one. In both instances I enjoyed this recipe with a side of salsa for added moisture.
Make it your own and have fun in the kitchen!
- 6 slices Gluten-Free Bread
- Vegan butter
Tofu Egg White
- 1 cup firm tofu
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 ripe avocado sliced long wise in 1/2 inch slices
- Using a blender or food proccesor, blend tofu egg ingredients until smooth. Place blended tofu mixture to the side in a medium-sized bowl. Clean blender or food processor.
- In cleaned blender, blend bean-yolk ingredients until smooth. Place blended mixture to the side in a medium sized bowl.
- Cut a circular hole in the middle of a piece of gluten-free bread and butter both sides liberally.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-low and butter the bottom of the pan. Place bread in skillet filling the center hole with either the tofu egg mixture or cut ripe avocado. Within the tofu or avocado "egg" place a dollop of the bean yolk. Cook until browned on one side and carefully flip. Brown on the other side until firmed up.
- Serve immediately.