I wanted to do something different with butternut squash. Since I no longer eat steak I thought, what the heck lets give it a try. Butternut squash steak was born!
This recipe is oh so easy and oh so delicious. The denseness of the butternut squash makes grilling super easy. I haven’t tried to just grill without tenderizing in the oven, but on a low grill it may work out equally well. Let me know if you try it and how well it works! I will update everyone as soon as I slap these suckers on the grill without heating up the oven.
Marinating the butternut squash over night will give the steak a full flavor. If you’re short on time, don’t worry – they are still delectable. With the addition of pepper and spices, this dish tastes even more like the traditional “meat” version.
Please give this easy, delicious recipe a try!
Remember to make it your own, have fun in the kitchen, and enjoy infusing some veggies!
Infused Butternut Squash.
Butternut Squash Steak
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup teriyaki
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- salt to taste (teriyaki can be salty)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and slice the butternut squash. I cut them into thinner slices, but it might be nice to make them thicker, would just have to bake longer.
- In pie pan, bowl, or ziplock bag mix together all the sauce ingredients.
- Place the peeled and slice squash into sauce, coat well, marinate it you have time.
- Place squash slices on cookie sheet with drying rack (if you have one). Cook for approximately 30 minutes or until slightly fork tender. Brush leftover sauce on squash after 15 minutes.
- Take squash out of oven. Place either on outdoor grill or indoor grill pan. Grill until tender.
Remember make it your own, have fun in the kitchen, and enjoy infusing some veggies!