Want to do something different with butternut squash? Yes! Since steak is out replaced it with delicious butternut squash. Butternut squash takes on the great flavors of a marinade, cooks easily, and grills up perfectly. Added bonus, low in fat, no animals hurt in the grilling process and it’s tasty. Perfect!
Butternut squash steak? Yes, you heard me right. I was in the mood for a hearty meal to grill and happen to have butternut squash. Therefore, how about a vegetable steak? A regular steak is all about the herbs, spices, and how it is cooked. The same goes for vegetables. It’s all about the marinade, the herbs, and the cooking method. Same same.
Marinating the butternut squash overnight will give the squash full flavors. If you’re short on time, don’t worry – marinate as long as you can, they will still be delectable. With the addition of pepper and spices, these butternut squash steaks taste even more like the traditional “meat” version but oh so much better.
Additional marinade options:
- Cayenne Pepper
- Smoky Paprika
- Sweet and Sour Thai Chili
- Turmeric Powder
- Fresh Herbs
Remember less is more. Don’t overuse too many herbs or spices.
The denseness of the butternut squash makes grilling super easy, which is my preferred method. If you can’t grill cooking it in the oven works just as well. Hang on to the marinade to brush on while cooking then heat it up prior to serving and to pour the steaks. These butternut squash steaks will satisfy and amaze family and friends.
Give this easy, delicious recipe a try! Feeling inspired? This is an easy fun recipe to explore your culinary skills, whether you’re vegan or not!
In short, have fun in the kitchen, don’t take yourself too seriously. Subscribe, share, and let me know how “YOU” made it your own. Share your positive comments and suggestions. ❤️ from VGFL.
- 1 butternut squash
- Preheat oven to 425degrees.
- Peel and slice the butternut squash. Cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices.
- In a pie pan, bowl, or ziplock bag mix together all the marinade ingredients.
- Place the peeled and slice squash into the marinade, coat well, marinate for at least 30 minutes, longer the better.
- Place squash slices on a baking sheet with drying rack (if you have one). Cook for approximately 20 to 30 minutes. Flip after 10 minutes brush on leftover marinade cook additional 10 or until fork tender.
- While squash steaks are cooking, using a small saucepan heat marinade on medium-high heat.
- Optional: Grill on an indoor or outdoor grill for a few minutes after baking.
- 2nd Cooking Option:Take marinated butternut squash and grill until fork tender approximately 10 to 15 minutes depending on the thickness and heat of the grill. Turn slices halfway for even grill marks.
- Top butternut squash steaks with heated marinade and fresh or dried oregano. Serve over sauteéd spinach, whole grain rice, GF noodles, riced cauliflower, YOU decided!Enjoy!