This tofu scramble is a family favorite recipe in our home. Try this recipe for an easy way to have a “traditional egg” breakfast sans the animal products. I’d say that is a win for everyone involved. Plus, a serving of tofu scramble has twice as many grams of protein than the animal-based product and has NO cholesterol and is super low in carbohydrates too! You can modify the tofu scramble and add anything to it in order to satisfy everyone’s tastebuds.
Some of my favorite additions that will satisfy the hungriest in your crowd:
- Vegan meat crumbles for a sausage flare
- Diced red or sweet potatoes tossed in seasoning salt for a non-processed version
- Any and all of your favorite veggies
- Salsa, sliced avocado, and freshly diced tomatoes for a Mexican version
How to video:
- Buy Non-GMO (good news is that it is almost impossible to find GMO tofu these days)
- Extra firm tofu is most similar to the texture of an “egg” scramble
- The key to browning tofu; you MUST squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- I use a tofu press. If you don’t have a press; grab a heavy pan and place it on top of the tofu to release the liquid. Now it’s ready to fry up!
Handy dandy easy to use, tofu press.
If spinach isn’t your thing, try zucchini, kale, or swiss chard. Tomatoes are a delicious fresh option, just add them at the end. Pair the scramble with tempeh bacon, fruit, potatoes, and man you’ve got a meal they’ll be asking for every week. And no one will be missing the old traditional scrambled “egg” of the past.
Have some fun in the kitchen. Comment below and let me know how “YOU” made it your own. See you soon!
- 2 containers extra firm tofu (non-GMO)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/2 cup sweet onion diced small
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan black salt
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce, gluten-free
- 1.5 cups baby spinach, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup green onions, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Drain tofu with a tofu press, between paper towels or with a heavy pan to remove excess drain liquids. You can even drain the tofu the night before for a firmer texture.
- Using a large frying pan, melt vegan butter, add diced onion and cook until lightly browned. Remove the onions and set to the side.
- Using your hands, crumble the tofu into the same pan. Stir in dry ingredients, and soy sauce. Cook on medium-high heat until tofu is browned stirring occasionally. Don't stir too much takes time for the tofu to brown.
- Stir in spinach until just wilted add back in the onions. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and enjoy!
- Top with green onions and red pepper flakes.