This jackfruit barbecue sandwich recipe is packed full of good old-fashioned southern flavor. This is an easy barbecue recipe with great texture and flavor. Just 5 easy steps and 8 simple ingredients. Perfect! Your friends and family will be begging you to whip up this easy recipe time and again.
This versatile plant-based goddess is really a huge, heavy, spiky fruit. It is an excellent whole food plant-based source of fiber and potassium. Fiber helps keep us full, helps decrease hunger and thus helps with weight loss, and of course, keeps us regular. Potassium is important for our muscles and heart health.
“Jackfruit is the largest tree-borne fruit in the world!” Damn big!
8 easy to find ingredients!
Want to simplify this jackfruit barbecue sandwich even further? Grab a jar of your favorite barbecue sauce and use that in place of homemade.
Enjoy this southern jackfruit barbecue sandwich treat, vegan and gluten-free.
Remember to have fun in the kitchen! Comment and let me know how YOU made it your own. See you soon! Bye!
- 2 cans jackfruit in water
- 1 cup sweet yellow onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Options to Serve Barbecue:
- gluten-free bread
- lettuce cups
- collard leafs
- Drain and rinse jackfruit. In a medium bowl begin to shred sections with a fork or your fingers. Remove seeds and discard. Continue shredding jackfruit until the constancy is similar to pulled “meat.”
- In a large skillet sauté add butter, onion, and garlic on medium low for 3-5 minutes.
- Add apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke, agave, ketchup, bring to a low boil, reduce heat cook for 8-10 minutes. Now add jackfruit cook until tender for an additional 10-15 minutes. Add vegan broth, ketchup or water if it is too dry. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon onto toasted gluten-free bread, into a lettuce cup, or right into your mouth.