Red sauce is a staple in many households for multiple meals. I always thought a savory flavorful homemade red sauce was going to difficult, needed lots of ingredients, made a mess, and took forever. I was wrong.
What are San Marzano Tomatoes?
Making the perfect red sauce can easily be made with the right canned tomatoes. It is a common misconception that canned tomatoes are inferior to fresh tomatoes. Canned tomatoes can actually be better than fresh tomatoes. The key to using canned tomatoes is quality. San Marzano canned tomatoes are sweet, picked riped, have no preservatives, salt or other flavorings. San Marzano can cost a bit more money but is definitely worth it.
The best recipes use quality ingredients; herbs and spices that compliment the flavor profile of the dish. More ingredients don’t necessarily translate into a more flavorful dish. Fresh is best for herbs and spices but dried are excellent alternatives. Don’t overthink, just do your best.
Have some fun in the kitchen and don’t take yourself too seriously. Subscribe, share, and let me know how “YOU” made it your own. I look forward to your positive comments and suggestions. Love from VGFL.
- 2 (28 oz.) canned San Marzano whole tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup sweet onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste, double concentrate
- 1 teaspoon salt, Himalayan
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, torn into small pieces
- Open the cans of whole tomatoes and remove their seeds with either a seed remover or strainer.
- Place tomatoes in a medium bowl. Crush the tomatoes with your hands. For a smoother consistency use a food processor to crush the tomatoes until your desired smoothness is reached.
- In a heavy gauge pan, heat olive oil on medium-low heat. Add onions and sauté until they are translucent, about 8-10 minutes. Then stir in garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Stir in tomato paste for an additional minute.
- Pour sauce into pan stir and heat over medium-low heat for 45-60 minutes stirring occasionally to make sure sauce is not sticking.
- Remove from heat and add in fresh or dried spices. Stir to combine. Taste and season as needed.