Craving a deviled egg but don’t eat eggs anymore? Here you go. This was one of my first recipes that launched me into the vegan air! If you use to love the texture and flavors of “real” deviled eggs, this recipe is for you. Deviled eggs reminiscent of spring, picnics, sunshine, family, friends, and warmth. Skeptical? They won’t disappoint. I promise.
The development of my deviled tofu “eggs” was quite a task, but well worth it. The texture and flavor of the tofu filling compared to the “real” egg filling are surprisingly similar. Cutting the tofu into an egg shape helps the with the visual similarities.
My non-vegan friends were skeptical if I could pull off a vegan deviled egg. When I was questioned regarding my validity of my deviled eggs being vegan, I knew I had it and had them.
The easiest way to “pipe” the filling onto the “egg” slices is by cutting a small hole in one corner of a ziplock bag, plopping a pipping tip in, and filling it up. No need to buy special piping bags, plastic bags work just as well!
These “eggs” are a must for picnics, family events, the perfect spring time snack. Who doesn’t love a little spring in the air?
Remember to make it your own, have fun in the kitchen, and enjoy infused veggies!
Vegan Deviled Eggs
- 2 packages Extra Firm Non-GMO Tofu, drained
- 3/4-1 cup vegan mayonaise
- 2 tbsp shallots, diced
- 1/4-1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp soy sauce, gluten free
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup dill pickles, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped
- 2 tbsp capers, optional
- 2 tbsp lime zest, optional
- Drain tofu thoroughly.
- Laying tofu flat cut thin sections.
- Using 1 inch oval cutter, cut out egg shape from tofu, saving leftover tofu.
- Place rounds in refrigerator.
- Place excess tofu, mayonnaise, shallots, turmeric, mustard, soy sauce, lime juice and salt into food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Fold in diced pickles.
- Place deviled egg mixture into piping bag with, or without, a piping tip.
- Remove tofu rounds from refrigerator, start piping mixture onto rounds.
- Top with paprika, chives, extra diced pickles, or capers.
- Serve and Enjoy!