Bacon-less, leek, chard, walnuts, vegan with gluten free spaghetti was inspired from a Rachael Ray recipe. This one dish meal made bacon-less and veggie infused is not only easy, it is super good for you, delicious, gluten free and vegan.
When the bacon is taken out of this yummy Rachael Ray recipe it becomes a veggie treat. Veggies are an easy alternative to using animal based proteins. For some, bacon may seem like the base of the recipe, when in fact the veggies add most of the flavor.
If you want to use dairy in the recipe, go ahead. I don’t particularly care for any animal based dairy products in any of my recipes, I feel healthier without them. Using beans and nuts with nutritional yeast provides the “cheesy” flavor without the animal protein, leaving you with a savory fresh flavor. But as I say, make it your own and do what works for you.
- 1 cup toasted walnuts , chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium leeks , quartered chopped and cleaned
- 4 garlic cloves , sliced
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1 large bunch swiss chard , stemmed, cleaned, sliced into thick ribbons
- 12 ounces Gluten Free Spaghetti , I used Jovial
- 1 Fresh Lemon , squeezed
- Cheese Topping
- 1/8-1/4 cup raw macadamia nuts
- 1/8-1/4 cup dried garbanzo beans , use cashews if unable to find
- 1/8-1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Toast walnuts on stovetop on medium heat, do not burn. When cooled chop coarsely.
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta, cook following directions.
- In large skillet add olive oil, leeks, and garlic, brown on medium low heat for 5 minutes. Add wine to skillet cook down for 5 minutes, add swiss chard until lightly wilted.
- Add cooked pasta to the pan or transfer to large serving dish. Toss the pasta and leek mixture along with cheese topping. Squeeze lemon over the top and sprinkle walnuts over the top.
- If you would like more moisture to the pasta add a 1/4 vegan chicken broth.
- Add macadamia nuts, dried garbanzo beans, and nutritional yeast to food processor, process or grind until it becomes a find powder, approximately 1 minute.
Can also use a bean based gluten free spaghetti pasta.