Who loves hummus? My entire family loves it and I always keep a tub of it in the fridge. A few years ago I was able to find tahini-free premade hummus from Trader Joe’s, but they have unfortunately stopped making it. My oldest daughter, Kelsey, has an allergy to sesame and is not able to eat traditional hummus with tahini. Each time she goes to Trader Joe’s she looks for the tahini-free hummus and is disappointed every time. During her latest trip home to North Carolina from Ohio, she asked me to make a tahini-free hummus. Thus, this recipe was born.
Tahini is sesame seed paste and is a common staple in many Mediterranean dishes. It is an ingredient in every premade hummus I have found in recent years. It is not required to make a delicious easy hummus.
Tahini-free Hummus is allergy friendly and is gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free, corn-free, sesame-free, dairy-free, and cholesterol-free too. I know what you’re thinking if it is free from all of those things it must be taste-free too. I assure you, it is full of flavor and utterly delicious. You will be searching your fridge and pantry for anything to dip in this tasty easy hummus.
- 2 15 oz cans garbanzo beans aka chickpeas
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1-2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt or salt-free alternative if desired
- 1/4-1/2 cup water as needed
- Rinse and drain the garbanzo beans. Remove the skins by pinching the beans. Discard the skins.
- Add garbanzo beans, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and salt to a high-speed blender or food processor. Begin blending and slowly add water until a smooth consistency is achieved.
Are you throwing a party or celebrating a holiday? Do you need simple recipes for an upcoming event that are healthy, plant-based, and tasty? Look no further. Make this hummus and serve with fresh cut veggies, vegan ranch, cold artichoke dip, mini tacos, and cauliflower wings.