This roasted green bean recipe is made with 8 simple ingredients. The crispness of the green beans are the highlight of this dish. A recipe that is easy, savory, vegan, gluten free and healthy, makes a perfect side for any meal. Don’t forget the knife. This recipe is not the typical soggy green bean casserole. The beans stay crisp and flavorful without the added fat and calories. Awesome!
Roasted green beans are a refreshing replacement to the typical holiday green bean casserole. Casseroles are thought to be quick and easy. Fresh vegetables are just as easy and healthier. Trimming and cleaning the beans tends to be the most time consuming task. To save time, purchase organic trimmed beans. Bagged beans are pricer but time is a valuable commodity, especially, durning the holidays.
Marinating the beans the day before or even 30 minutes before cooking adds delicious light flavors to the beans. For a spicer marinade, add some hot sauce. Lemons and limes paired with fresh herbs are always easy marinades. Experiment, just not before a holiday gathering.
Rich texture and flavors are achieved using toasted walnuts. Slivered toasted almonds are another topping alternative. Having a side of gravy is always a welcomed addition. Who doesn’t love a great gravy?
Fresh green beans are a tasty treat. Whether steamed, roasted, barbecued, sautéed or snapped off the vine, they are delicious. Even the pickiest eaters love crunching on fresh vegetables. They are equally tasty with fresh hummus or vegan ranch dressing.
Have fun in the kitchen and make it your own. Comment below and let me know how you made it your own!
- 1 pound fresh green beans
- 1 cup sweet onions thinly sliced
- 4-6 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 cup vegan chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons black strap molasses
- salt and pepper to taste
- toasted walnuts or toasted sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Trim and wash beans. Slice onions and garlic.
- In a large bowl add beans, onions, garlic, broth, molasses, salt, and pepper. Mix thoroughly. Let marinade for 30 minutes. If time allows, place the marinade and beans in a baggie or covered bowl overnight.
- Drain bean mixture in a colander.
- Arrange beans on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast for 10-12 minutes.
Check out these holiday dishes that go great with these crispy green beans: