Looking for an alternative to the boring traditional green bean casserole? Well, you just hit the jackpot. In contrast, green bean and red cabbage casserole is anything but soggy and boring. It is full of fresh ingredients, easy, and uncomplicated. Savory, delicious, with surprising fresh flavors.
What inspired me to develop this recipe? I am not a fan of an over-cooked green bean casserole. I had to make a casserole that was different than anything I have had before. My attention was to flavor, making it fresh, keeping it easy, and versatile. Done!
3 Fresh Easy Ingredients:
- Green Beans
- Red Cabbage
- Caramelized Onions
Green, Crispy and Versatile
Green beans are a vegetable that everyone seems to love. They are a crispy treat right off the vine. But when cooked properly they are delicious.
For this recipe, I leave it up to you how you want to cook the beans. Perfect for the casserole either roasted, grilled, air fried or baked. Roasted gave the beans a sweet flavor. While the grilled beans added a bit of a smokiness to the casserole. Air fried or roasted will work also. My tip: don’t overcook. Keep them green and crisp.
Red Cabbage Goodness
Red cabbage in a green bean casserole? Oh yeah! How can you go wrong? Colorful, flavorful, easy to cook and awesome for you! Consequently, using the red cabbage does not only add a surprising flavor but a beautiful color.
What makes this recipe special? The caramelized onions. The result is a sweet and savory flavor side dish. Without the onions, it would be bland and boring. Onions add the sweet spice that will have you wanting more and more. Furthermore, make plenty it will go fast!
Finally, a green bean and red cabbage casserole that isn’t soggy, overcooked, or boring. Sounds perfect. Make this casserole a new traditional side dish for all your holiday feasts. Checkout VGFL 10 Easy Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes for more inspiring dishes.
Above all, have some fun in the kitchen and don’t take yourself too seriously. Subscribe, share, and let me know how “YOU” made it your own. I look forward to your positive comments and suggestions.
Green Bean and Red Cabbage Casserole
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 cups sweet onions halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds fresh green beans
- 6 cups red cabbage sliced thin
- 1/2 cup red wine or vegan broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Using a large sauté pan over medium heat melt butter, add onions. Cook slowly lightly browning, stirring as to not over brown for approximately 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Using the same pan over medium heat sauté cabbage for 8 to 10 minutes until lightly browned, maintaining some crunch. Add wine and cook down until the liquid is almost gone.
- While cabbage is cooking roast beans. Toss beans with olive oil, place on parchment or foil-lined baking pan cook in a preheated 425-degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Toss everything into the skillet re-heat and fold into a 9 X 12 casserole dish. Salt and pepper to taste. Squeeze lime over the top and serve while hot.