I finally did it, I made a dessert! It’s a miracle. My mother had a craving for tapioca pudding and since a ready-made version sounded awful, I decided to give a whirl. If I can make a delicious dessert, trust me, so can you! My family and friends would tell you, I suck at dessert. No longer!
I was visiting family in Cleveland, Ohio and thus my eldest daughter’s food allergies threw a wrench into my recipe creation. I needed to make a tapioca that was not only vegan but also soy free, gluten free, and corn free. While at Whole Foods I came across a new cashew milk yogurt drink. It comes in 3 flavors that I have found: blueberry, strawberry, and plain. I figured a thicker non-dairy milk like a yogurt drink would add a nice a texture and flavor to the tapioca. It was a random guess that worked out, awesome!
If the texture of tapioca isn’t your thing, I would avoid this dessert. For crazy people, like myself, who don’t care for desserts, this is a surprisingly delicious option. This dessert is super versatile. Tapioca pudding can be made with less sugar, more sugar, fresh fruit or no fruit, up to you.
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 1 cup non-dairy drinkable yogurt replace with non-dairy milk if unavailable
- 1/8 tsp salt (optional)
- 1/4 cup tapioca vegan and gluten free
- 2 tbsp agave
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a saucepan, bring non-dairy milk to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer stir in salt.
- Add tapioca to non-dairy milk, low heat, stirring often for 13 to 18 minutes. Tapioca is done when it has a transparent appearance and pudding has thickened.
- Remove tapioca from heat, stir in agave and vanilla.
- Refrigerate until room temperature. Stir pudding well to break up the tapioca.