Easy vegan mac and cheese? Yeah, baby! This vegan mac and cheese recipe is so easy and versatile, it will become a weekly tradition. Why grab a box when you can make this recipe in under 30 minutes? Family and friends won’t even miss the cheese, heck they might not even know it’s vegan.
How to video:
Guess what, the sauce is NUT-FREE and mac and cheese are all about the sauce. The secret to a smooth, creamy vegan mac and cheese are plant-based milk, creamy cooked potatoes, steamed carrots and the mystery ingredient; nutritional yeast.
I know this recipe sounds too good to be true, but trust me you’ll never go back the traditional mac and cheese you grew up on. It’s time to start a new tradition, get your plant-strong on!
- 1 12 ounces package of elbow noodles, I use gluten-free
- 2 cups cooked potatoes
- 1 cup cooked carrots
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2-3/4 cup plant-based milk water or vegan broth
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric or more
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder more for more garlic flavor
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Gluten-free breadcrumbs
- Fresh or dried herbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook noodles until they are al Dante, careful not to overcook or they will become mushy in the casserole.
- Steam potatoes and carrots separately.
- Using a food processor or blender add vegan cheese ingredients. Blend until ingredients are smooth, consistency of a thin gravy.
- Mix noodles and vegan cheese mixture in large bowl. Add mac and cheese to a 9 X 12 casserole dish. Top noodles with breadcrumbs cover the dish with foil cook for 15. Remove foil and broil for a few minutes until breadcrumbs are lightly browned.
- Serve with fresh or dried herbs.