Cauliflower wings are vegan, gluten free and made with only 10 simple ingredients. Easy, family friendly and nutritionally superior since they are plant based not meat. You can’t beat delicious and good for you; a win win in my book!
The 10 ingredients pair well together for this tasty treat. It doesn’t take a lot of spices or time. You will get the hang of replacing meat with veggies. Veggies take on the rich flavors of spices. Which enhances your plant based alternative.
As with most vegetables, they are healthier for you when eaten raw. But when you are hankering for a treat and want to keep it healthy, cooked vegetables still win out over the meat alternative. Low fat, no cholesterol, fewer calories and wicked tasty. Can’t beat it!
The dry ingredient base is turmeric, paprika, powdered garlic, salt, pepper and gluten free flour. These spices are the base for the cauliflower “wings”. Gluten free flour is an added bonus for those of us dealing with gluten issues.
The wet element I used was non-dairy soy milk. Occasionally I replace the non-dairy milk with gluten free beer which makes the outer coating lighter with earthy flavors. You decide.
Do not over coat the cauliflower. If the batter is too thick it will result in a gummy wings. The coating on the cauliflower will not be crispy. For that you would need to fry, which I do not suggest. In my opinion less oil the better.
Arrange the coated cauliflower on a baking rack. This helps to cook the veggies all the way around and keeps the cauliflower from sticking to the cookie sheet.
Hot or Not You Decide
Make the sauce as spicy, sweet or both as you desire. Once the first coat is cool to the touch, add the cauliflower to the sauce, coating thoroughly. Place them back on the baking rack and toss them back into the oven. Ta da!
Pair your cauliflower buffalo wings with crisp raw veggies and a side of vegan ranch dressing. This is a great appetizer any time of the year. Keep these “wings” in mind for a sporting event party, your guest will eat them up.
Cauliflower Buffalo Wings
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 cup gluten-free beer can use vegan broth or dairy-free milk
- 3/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup hot sauce gluten-free
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce gluten-free
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Clean cauliflower, break apart into wing size pieces and dry thoroughly.
- In a large bowl add first batter ingredients mix together well.
- Place a few cauliflower pieces into the batter at a time. Let excess batter drip off. Using a large foil covered baking sheet place cauliflower onto sprayed drying racks.
- Cook cauliflower for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned.
- Remove cauliflower let cool for a few minutes. Slowly add cauliflower to 2nd batter mixture covering well.
- Place cauliflower back onto pan and continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes.