What is tempeh and how to cook it? Curiosity have you wondering what this mystery food is and what to do with it? Well, I’m here to take the mystery out of this surprisingly delicious and easy to cook meat alternative.
What is Tempeh Informative Video and Recipe:
What is tempeh? Soy! Tempeh is fermented soy famous in Indonesian dishes for hundreds of years. Soybeans are cooked, fermented, and formed into patties. This protein-packed deliciousness is firmer than tofu, has a denser texture, and milder flavor.
Vegans, vegetarians, and meat-eaters looking for a meat alternative are giving tempeh a try. You can use tempeh in many common recipes: sliced, cubed, baked, broiled, fried, and grilled just to name a few. Try grating it like cheese, use it in sandwiches, soups, salads, or spreads. This protein full food is crazy versatile and delicious too!
Tempeh is high in protein, low in fat, cholesterol free, nutritious, and tasty treat. And, eco-friendly too! Tempeh has more “tooth,” meaning, more texture and less mushy than it’s soy-based sister, tofu. I happen to love both but some prefer the texture of tempeh over tofu. Both are easy to cook with once you try it out. I promise!
Here is an easy recipe ready for you to “Make your own!”
Tempeh Brisket Recipe
Tempeh brisket is the perfect recipe to “make it your own.” If you don’t have all the ingredients, use your favorite vegan BBQ sauce with a cup of red wine and a couple cups of vegan broth. Throw it in the oven and an hour later you have a hearty protein-packed meal of pure tummy joy. Heat up the leftover liquid and you have gravy. Throw together a side of roasted veggies, vegan slaw, grilled mushrooms, or whatever your heart desires. Simple vegan comfort dinner!
Make it your own, have fun in the kitchen, and let me know how YOU made it your own!
- 2 packages Gluten-free tempeh
- 2 1/2 cups vegan beef broth
- 1/4 cup gluten-free tamari
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tbsp Blackstrap molasses
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Using a large bowl place sauce ingredients. Whisk together until well blended.
- In a 9X9 casserole dish place tempeh and cover with sauce. Turn tempeh to distribute sauce.
- Place casserole in the preheated oven. Cook for 30 minutes turn tempeh and continue to cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove cooked tempeh from oven baste and let for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve with reduced sauce.