Roasted beets with vegan dill and chive dressing. Using crisp Granny smith apples and cucumbers creates an amazing salad with strikingly fresh flavors. Make this salad one of your recipes to start off your summer.
I love salads but get tired of the typical lettuce based side salad. I happen to love beets, especially golden beets. Beets are great by themselves with a squeeze of lemon bit of salt and pepper and ta da, lunch. But when you have a little extra time and want to impress your guest, definitely makes this not so typical dish. The only real pain about this recipe is finding the golden beets. I had to go to three grocery stores, but definitely worth it. The other pain in the you know what, make sure you have time to roast the beets before your friends show up, otherwise you’re eating at 9pm, trust me, that happens in our house more often then planned.
The dressing is made with vegan yogurt, mayonnaise, dill, chives, lemon, and a bit of heat. The dressing mixed up with fresh mini cucumber and fresh slices of crisp green apples makes the salad oh so yummy! Make it your own, have fun in the kitchen, and infuse some veggies.
- 2 large golden beets or 6 medium , trimmed
- 1/2 cup vegan plain yogurt , I use So Delicious brand
- 2 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
- 1 small fresh lemon , squeezed
- 1/4 teaspoon Sriracha chili sauce , optional
- 1-3 tablespoons coarsely chopped dill
- 2 tablespoons chives , 1 tablespoon in dressing
- 1 1/2 cups Granny Smith apples , cut into thin matchsticks
- 5 mini cucumber , thin rounds
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wrap cleaned and trimmed beets with foil and roast until tender when pierced with a knife, approximately 1 hour depending on size of beets. Can be made a day ahead. When cooled rub off skin and cut into rounds or 1/4 triangular slices.
- Whisk vegan yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon, Sriracha chili, dill and 1 tablespoon of chives. In medium bowl toss apples and cucumber with dressing. Arrange beets on platter; top with apple, cucumber dressing. Sprinkle dish with chives, salt and pepper. Serve chilled or immediately.