One of my favorite dishes at any time of the year is a Reuben sandwich, especially on Saint Patricks Day. Making a plant-based replacement for corned beef was a challenge but this Irish girl was determined. It is now time to share it with you!
How to video:
It’s all about the herbs
- Salt; little salt to mimic traditional corned beef, always optional
- Rainbow Peppercorn; gives a peppery spice
- Rosemary and Sage; a needed earthy flavor
- Thyme; earthy yet sweet
My go-to replacement for Reubens was tempeh in the past. However, my daughter, Kelsey, can’t eat soy products due to her allergy. Now I had to come up with a plant-based option that needed to be soy-free, corn-free, nut-free, and of course gluten-free. What’s left you might ask? Jackfruit. With a little nudge from Kelsey, I gave it a try, it worked beautifully!
I am a true vegan Irish girl. Can you imagine that? I couldn’t go without this traditional staple. I had to come up with this perfect vegan gluten-free Reuben. Top the “corned jackfruit” with my super easy vegan thousand island dressing. Now all the toppings, done!
How to get a beautiful red color?
- Red Beets; great red coloring
- Smoky Paprika; adds a smoky flavor
- Turmeric; gives a bit of yellow and earthy flavors
- Gluten-Free Beer; because I am Irish
Now get your green on and start cooking. This is one recipe you won’t want to miss. Don’t worry if your not Irish, everyone is Irish on Saint Patricks Day.
Have some fun in the kitchen and don’t take yourself too seriously. Subscribe, share, and let me know how “YOU” made it your own. I look forward to your positive comments and suggestions. Love from VGFL.
- 2 cans jackfruit in brine or water
- 1 cup gluten-free beer
- 1 cup red beet juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp whole peppercorns
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder or turmeric
- 1 tbsp dried sage
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- 12 slices gluten-free bread your favorite, toasted
- 8 sliced vegan soy-free smoked gouda cheese follow your heart
- 1 cup sauerkraut non-gmo, vegan
- 1 tbsp vegan thousand island dressing per sandwich
- Drain jackfruit and rinse. In a medium bowl, shred jackfruit with your fingers and discard seeds.
- Add all remaining ingredients for corned jackfruit to bowl with jackfruit and mix well to combine. Cover and marinate in the fridge for 1-2 hours or overnight.
- Drain jackfruit, place in a large fry pan and sauté until heated, 6-8 minutes.
- Place a spoon full of corned jackfruit onto 1 slice of toasted gluten-free bread. Top with a slice of vegan cheese if you desire, sauerkraut, and drizzle with vegan thousand island dressing. Eat open faced or place the second slice of toasted bread on top and dig in.
- If you have a panini maker prepare your sandwich as noted above with bread that is not toasted and cook on panini maker according to your panini maker’s directions.