Artichoke and chickpeas complement each other in this simple salad. This healthy recipe is perfect as a salad, sandwich, wrap, or lettuce cup. Fresh celery, radish, and green onion add just the right flavor profile.
Artichoke chickpea salad was a random recipe I threw together with what I had in my pantry. I was learning about legumes in my culinary class and I just so happened to have a few cans of chickpeas. I have made vegan “tuna” salad sandwiches from chickpeas in the past and was about to make it again. Instead, the artichoke hearts grabbed my attention. I have not used artichokes and chickpeas together in the past but they sounded like a good combination.
I started chopping up the artichokes, radishes, celery, and green onions and mixed them together with the chickpeas. As soon as I tasted the initial flavors, Kelsey to start adding it to our recipe collection. She typed as I continued to develop the recipe. A short while later after the final pictures were taken, done! Now it was time to enjoy the fruits of our labor.
This is a healthy recipe for school, work lunches or even for dinner. The days of boring salads are over. Load your refrigerator up with all the fresh crisp seasonal vegetables you can get your hands on. Whether you’re making a side or a whole meal you’ll be inspired by the simplicity and versatility of today’s salads crisp, fresh and healthy.
Enjoy this easy yummy fresh recipe. Please share your comments and recipes so I can see how “YOU made it your own.”
- 1 can artichoke hearts, drain and rinse
- 2 cans garbanzo beans, drain and rinse
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4-6 radishes, quartered and sliced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 small lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Take the can of artichoke hearts drain and rinse. Quarter and rough chop hearts place into colander and press out excess liquid.
- In a medium to large bowl add all remaining ingredients. Mix or fold all ingredients until well blended. If desired add in more vegan mayonnaise, dijon mustard or lemon for the desired creaminess.
- Cover and chill salad for an hour or eat at room temperature. Serve in a bowl, lettuce up or as a delicious sandwich.